We require all applicants to provide official GRE (Graduate Record Examination) results and do not provide any waivers for any reason.
- Your scores must not be more than five years old, and an official copy must be sent to our office directly from the Educational Testing Service (ETS).
- Use the institution code 5156, with department code 5199 for "any department not listed". If you have chosen a different department code, your scores should still be available within the database of scores at Duke. You should not need to resend your scores.
- Personal copies are not acceptable, nor are "attested" or notarized copies.
- ETS can take several weeks to send electronic scores to schools, so you should plan to take the test or order prior scores at least one month prior to the deadline you seek. You must send official score reports to Duke, and scores must arrive prior to the deadline.
- We do not require a minimum score.
- For further information on the GRE, please visit the GRE website at http://www.gre.org.
We receive GRE scores electronically from the Educational Testing Service. Because we match scores by an applicant's name, it is important your name on the application and your name on your test scores be the same. If it is not, you must contact us.
We do not accept GMAT scores, and the GMAT cannot be used in place of the GRE.