David B. Brown
Professor of Business Administration
David B. Brown is a Professor in Decision Sciences and the Faculty Director for the Center for Energy, Development and Global Environment (EDGE) at Duke University's Fuqua School of Business.
Professor Brown's research focuses on designing and analyzing algorithms for decision problems involving uncertainty and complex tradeoffs. This work is methodological in nature and cuts across various application areas. As a co-PI on the GRACE project funded by the US Department of Energy's Advanced Research Projects Agency, Professor Brown is actively working with researchers at Duke and several other institutions on improving the efficiency and reliability of electricity grid operations in the face of uncertainty in renewable energy sources.
His recent research also includes developing and analyzing solution techniques for problems such as network revenue management, dynamic pricing in shared vehicle systems, stochastic scheduling problems, and sequential search problems. Professor Brown's research has appeared in publications such as Management Science and Operations Research, and the Institute for Operations Research and the Management Sciences (INFORMS) has recognized his research with several awards. At Fuqua, he has taught Decision Models, Data Analytics and Applications, Probability and Statistics, and Convex Optimization, and he has won teaching awards in multiple programs.
Professor Brown received a Bachelor's and Master's of Science in Electrical Engineering from Stanford University and has been on the faculty at Fuqua since receiving his Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering and Computer Science from MIT.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Professor of Business Administration
- Office Location: Fuqua School of Business, 90120, Durham, NC 27708
- Office Phone: (919) 660-7968
- Email Address: email@example.com
- Ph.D. Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 2006
- M.S. Stanford University, 2001
- B.S. Stanford University, 2000
- BA 998: Independent Study
- DECISION 516F: Quantitative Business Analysis
- DECISION 517K: Spreadsheet Modeling and Decision Analysis
- DECISION 521Q: Decision Analytics and Modeling
- DECISION 610: Probability and Statistics
- DECISION 611: Decision Models
- QM 700QB: Data Analytics and Applications
- QM 700QH: Data Analytics and Applications
In the News
- A Better Way of Pricing Your Rideshare (May 17, 2023 | Fuqua School of Business)
- Brown, DB; Zhang, J, Dynamic Programs with Shared Resources and Signals: Dynamic Fluid Policies and Asymptotic Optimality, Operations Research, vol 70 no. 5 (2022), pp. 3015-3033 [10.1287/opre.2021.2181] [abs].
- Balseiro, SR; Brown, DB; Chen, C, Dynamic pricing of relocating resources in large networks, Management Science, vol 67 no. 7 (2021), pp. 4075-4094 [10.1287/mnsc.2020.3735] [abs].
- Brown, DB; Smith, JE, Index policies and performance bounds for dynamic selection problems, Management Science, vol 66 no. 7 (2020), pp. 3029-3050 [10.1287/mnsc.2019.3342] [abs].
- Balseiro, SR; Brown, DB; Chen, C, Dynamic Pricing of Relocating Resources in Large Networks, Acm Sigmetrics Performance Evaluation Review, vol 47 no. 1 (2019), pp. 29-30 [10.1145/3309697.3331512] [abs].
- Balseiro, SR; Brown, DB, Approximations to stochastic dynamic programs via information relaxation duality, Operations Research, vol 67 no. 2 (2019), pp. 577-597 [10.1287/opre.2018.1782] [abs].